Monday, January 31, 2011

Carrot and Tomato Soup!

So with the temperature outside being -21degrees Celcius, I decided that today was the perfect day to cook up a big batch of soup! I just bought a big 3lbs bag of carrots the other day so I thought that this would be the perfect recipe to try. My kitchen smelled amazing while this was cooking- the combination of spices, onions, tomatoes and carrots were incredible. This soup is souper easy to make and freezes well for a quick lunch or a lazy dinner. The original recipe called for chicken broth instead of tomatoes, but I prefer tomato based soups so I tweaked the recipe according to my tastes. Definitely a delicious soup for anyone who likes tomatoes and carrots!


 Carrots and onions


Carrot and Tomato Soup


Time: 40 minutes total, 20 active
Serves 4

Ingredients:
-2tbsp butter
-a handful of chopped onion
-1lb large carrots (about 2 2/3 cups chopped)
-2 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes (undrained)
-2 1/2 cups water
-cumin, nutmeg, onion powder, black pepper- to taste
-1tsp lemon juice or 4 drops lemon extract

While waiting for the soup to boil, I added my spices

After boiling, the liquid is reduced slightly
 
 Blending!
Directions:
1. Chop onion and carrots roughly
2. Saute onions in butter for 2 minutes. Add a dash of onion powder. 
3. Mix in carrots, add tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. 
3. Add spices. 
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are very tender (about 20 minutes). 
5. Remove from heat. Puree in batches in a blender until smooth. 
6. Return to pot, heat and serve.

The finished product!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment