I made a pasta sauce that was ten times healthier than our usual, and tricked him into thinking it was the same one. He loved it. I served it with a side of steamed broccoli so he wouldn't suspect I did anything to the sauce and it worked. He was shocked.
Know someone who isn't a huge fan of veggies? Feed them this and they will be just as impressed as my boyfriend was.
Healthy Tomato Sauce
-4 large carrots, chopped -hidden veggies
-Stems of 2 broccoli crowns, chopped (about 4 thick stems) -hidden veggies
-basil, Italian seasoning, black pepper, oregano, salt, red pepper seasoning- to taste
-2 cloves garlic, finely minced -antioxidant
-handful of chopped onions
-about 1/2 cup wheat germ -high in plant sterols which are known to lower cholesterol.
-3 cups shortcut whole grain pasta -high in fiber and other grain proteins
-1 jar of pasta sauce ~21oz.
-1lb extra lean ground beef -low fat protein
1. Steam or boil broccoli stems and carrots until carrots are fork tender (about half an hour)
2. Brown beef with onions, spices, and garlic. (about 6 minutes)
3. Once veggies are ready, spoon into a blender, allowing some water onto the spoon to help the veggies blend. Put empty water back on the heat- this will be your pasta water. Blend veggies until smooth.
4. Pour blended veggies onto meat. Add pasta sauce. Add wheat germ. Mix well. Check flavour and correct spices if necessary. Put lid on and turn down heat to simmer.
5. Cook pasta as per package directions. Serve! Your meat-atarien will be none the wiser.
I forgot to take pictures while cooking, or even when it was finished cooking. So here's a picture of the leftovers in a Ziploc container. What do you think of my table cloth?
Also, I recently came into possession of a very cute apron. Pictures to come soon!
1. Do you know anyone who hates vegetables?
2. What is your favourite vegetable?