Friday, February 25, 2011

Don't like veggies? No Problem!- Healthy spaghetti sauce

My boyfriend hates vegetables. He loathes them. He tries to avoid them at every junction and as consequence misses out on his 7-10 a day. But today we've decided to eat better together so that we can feel healthy and well. He gave me full reign of the kitchen and promised to eat whatever I put on his plate. And tonight I definitely took advantage of that.

I made a pasta sauce that was ten times healthier than our usual, and tricked him into thinking it was the same one. He loved it. I served it with a side of steamed broccoli so he wouldn't suspect I did anything to the sauce and it worked. He was shocked.

Know someone who isn't a huge fan of veggies? Feed them this and they will be just as impressed as my boyfriend was.

Healthy Tomato Sauce


Ingredients:
-4 large carrots, chopped -hidden veggies
-Stems of 2 broccoli crowns, chopped (about 4 thick stems) -hidden veggies
-basil, Italian seasoning, black pepper, oregano, salt, red pepper seasoning- to taste
-2 cloves garlic, finely minced -antioxidant
-handful of chopped onions
-about 1/2 cup wheat germ -high in plant sterols which are known to lower cholesterol. 
-3 cups shortcut whole grain pasta -high in fiber and other grain proteins
-1 jar of pasta sauce ~21oz.
-1lb extra lean ground beef -low fat protein

Directions:
1. Steam or boil broccoli stems and carrots until carrots are fork tender (about half an hour)
2. Brown beef with onions, spices, and garlic. (about 6 minutes)
3. Once veggies are ready, spoon into a blender, allowing some water onto the spoon to help the veggies blend. Put empty water back on the heat- this will be your pasta water. Blend veggies until smooth.
4. Pour blended veggies onto meat. Add pasta sauce. Add wheat germ. Mix well. Check flavour and correct spices if necessary. Put lid on and turn down heat to simmer.
5. Cook pasta as per package directions. Serve! Your meat-atarien will be none the wiser.


I forgot to take pictures while cooking, or even when it was finished cooking. So here's a picture of the leftovers in a Ziploc container. What do you think of my table cloth? 

Also, I recently came into possession of a very cute apron. Pictures to come soon!

Comment Questions:
1. Do you know anyone who hates vegetables?
2. What is your favourite vegetable?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I can't think of anyone I know who completely hates vegetables. Everyone I know at least eats some types of vegetables.
    2. My two favorites are corn and potatoes. I love mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I love gravy on mashed potatoes and corn is one of my fave veggies too! They're just so simple and sweet and versatile. I especially love fresh picked corn on the cob

    ReplyDelete