Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3.14...Happy Pi day! Stroganoff Pie!

(I've been trying to get this post done since March 14 but long hours at work have been getting in the way. Thanks for sticking with me through this.)

Every Christmas my grandmother used to make Tourtiere, a French-Canadian meat pie. It's usually served with chow-chow which is like a green tomato dressing. I'm not sure what it's made of other than green tomatoes, but it's runny, chunky and slightly sour. As a child, I never liked it. I turned up my nose at even the idea of a savory pie. What kid wouldn't? What kid wants vegetables and meat in place of fruit and other sweet things?

But in honour of Pi day I thought I should try something new. And so that is how this delicious pie came to be. This is the first savory pie that I have ever liked, and I looooove it. If you've ever had stroganoff, and liked it, you're in for a real treat. I used the same pie recipe as I did for the handpies, except I omitted the vanilla and added spices to match the filling (onion powder, parsley, basil, pepper, and garlic powder) and instead of cutting the chilled dough into 12 pieces, I cut it so that one piece was two thirds, for the bottom, and the remainder was the top piece. I just rolled it out nice and thin and stretched it across the pie tin. If you want to know the exact recipe for the crust, just refer back to the handpie recipe and use my new substitutions.


This pie is super flavourful, creamy, and definitely hearty. Great just as it is or with a side of veggies. I served mine with cooked carrots. 

Stroganoff Pie Filling:
-1 packet, or one 5 serving portion of stroganoff seasoning mix (this is important because it has thickening agents in the mix along with dried cheese etc.)
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1 green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
-3 stalks celery, finely chopped
-2 lbs ground beef
-1/2 cup water
-1 1/2 cups milk
-1/2 cup sour cream
-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
-2 raw pie crusts (top, bottom-bottom in a greased pie tin)
-1 egg, lightly beaten for brushing

Preheat oven to 
Brown ground beef with onions and garlic. Add in stroganoff mix, spices, milk, sour cream, celery and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for twenty minutes. 

Drain extra sauce into another bowl. Add back about 1/2 cup (this is assuming you drained it fully with a mesh strainer). Put beef filling into bottom crust. Add top crust, flute, and cut small slits into top. Brush with egg wash. Bake for 45-50 mins. or until crust is deep golden brown. 

Before serving: add shredded cheese to top. Tent with tin foil and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. 

Enjoy!
And don't forget to subscribe!

In other news, my job is going okay. So far I haven't baked or decorated anything...but I hope I will be soon. This is what it looks like when I leave for work in the morning:

Too early to be awake!

Also good news! If you live in the Ottawa, Canada area, then my baked goods will soon be available to order AT COST! That's right. No profit. I just feel it would be a good way to be able to bake a lot and experiment with recipes without going broke. Plus then you get yummy treats. 

Comment Questions:
1. What is your favourite baked good that I've made so far?
2. Have you ever had a savory pie?


No comments:

Post a Comment