Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chocolate Banana Bread

A while ago bananas were on sale at my grocery store for half price, so I bought way too many... and so a little while later, I was left with a big bag of black bananas. And I only know one good way to use up a bunch of black bananas... banana bread!



This banana bread isn't just any banana bread though... it has cocoa and honey, cinnamon and nutmeg... and it's super moist and delicious.

Mmm.. What a delicious breakfast!

I'll make this post short so you can go and make this ASAP and I can get back to stuffing my face!

Chocolate Banana Bread
Ingredients:
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
-2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp nutmeg
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
-1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp honey (I used creamed honey, but liquid honey would work just as well)
-2 large eggs
-2 cups flour
-1/4 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 325*F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, beating until smooth. 
Add the mashed bananas, honey, and eggs, again beating until smooth. Add the flour, stirring until just smooth. 

Spoon the batter into prepared loaf plan, smoothing the top. Let rest at room temp for 10 minutes. Bake for 45 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Test for doneness. Cool 10 minutes in a pan, cool completely on rack. 



Enjoy! 
And don't forget to subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What's your favourite banana bread flavour?
2. What should I do with my leftover overripe bananas?

3 comments:

  1. First off, let me just say that I am enjoying reading your blog ;) I love to write, cook, and bake...just like you...which is the main reason why I started my blog as well ;) I too have a dream of owning my own little bakery/cafe' :) You and I have lots in common my friend! I can't wait to read more of your posts ;)

    To answer your questions....I like banana bread that has sour cream in it. For some reason, the sour cream seems to make it really moist and full of flavor ;) I usually freeze my ripened bananas and save them for a rainy day when I can bake away with them. But if yours are really overripe, make another batch of banana bread and freeze it....or make banana cupcakes...or banana cake..or banana cookies. Or mash them up and put them in pancake batter to make banana pancakes. The possibilites are endless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do seem to have lots in common! And I absolutely love your blog as well! I plan to make the garden tomato soup that you posted from the low-fat soup book. I'm quite excited because most tomato soups, while tasty, lack in texture.

    Sour cream is so good in so many things! I didn't have any on hand otherwise I would have definitely added it in. Also banana cookies?! It never occurred to me to put bananas in cookies, but it's definitely something I will be looking into! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm! I've made that soup twice already and it's pretty good ;) I saw a recipe once for banana cookies but didn't try it. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not making them...LOL.

    ReplyDelete