Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes- 4 ways!

Cupcakes are the perfect go-to dessert for any occasion, but of course you don't need a special occasion to enjoy these delicious treats! I've been dying to make these for a few days now but life just kept getting in the way. I've never actually attempted to make cup cakes from scratch before, much less with filling, so I figured I might as well try as many combinations as possible for my first time.

Rich, decadent, moist... these are the words I would use to describe these little bites of heaven. The chocolate is intense, but not too dark, the filling oozes with flavour, but isn't cloyingly sweet, and the icing is light and fluffy with a splash of cherry or raspberry, and the milk chocolate dipped cupcakes are a definite must for any chocoholic. A perfect treat for an early spring day.

Cherry filled with cherry buttercream frosting

Raspberry filled with raspberry buttercream frosting

Raspberry filled chocolate dipped (in a winnie-the-pooh wrapper)

Cherry filled chocolate dipped with a cherry on top

Ingredients: 
For the cupcakes:
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-2/3 cup cocoa
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
-1/4 cup light brown sugar
-2 large eggs
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 cup milk

For the filling:
-1 jar raspberry jam (or your own homemade raspberry sauce- made from smashed raspberries, powdered sugar and a little cornstarch)
-1 can cherry pie filling (I had left overs from the cherry hand pies)

For the frosting:
-1 can Duncan Hynes buttercream frosting
-splash of raspberry extract
-splash of cherry sauce from the pie filling 
-1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips 

I used a stand mixer for this recipe, but it's not necessary. A regular electric mixer will do. 

For the cupcakes:
Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl with a whisk. Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer. Gradually beat in the flour mixture alternatively with the milk. Spoon batter into each cup until about half to 2/3 full. 



Bake at 350*F. for about 19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks (about 20 minutes- just enough time so that when your second batch needs to come out of the oven it's time to fill and frost the first batch). 



For the filling:
Take a small paring knife and cut a small circle in the center, angling your knife towards the middle so that you  end up with little mini cones of cup cake. Save the cones. Fill half the cupcakes with a small spoonful of raspberry jam, and the other half with the pie filling. Cut the bottom halves of the cones off so that they are just a round piece of the top of the cupcake. Cover the holes with the round pieces. 

Raspberry filled, before putting the top back on. Yum!

For the frosting:
Take the icing and divide between two bowls. Add a splash of the raspberry extract, if using, to one bowl, and a couple scant tablespoons of the cherry sauce to the other. (Scant meaning "a little less than"). Mix well. 

Add each to their own pastry bag. Alternatively, if you don't have pastry bags (like I don't) you can use a Ziploc bag, just cut off one corner and close the top. Pipe in a circular pattern on the cupcakes. The cherry icing goes on the cherry filled, and the raspberry icing on the raspberry filled. You should be able to frost 5 for each flavour. 

For the chocolate and the remainder of cupcakes:
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for two minutes, stirring after one minute. Stir. Drizzle the chocolate onto the remainder of the cupcakes using a spoon or spatula. Do not dunk the cupcakes otherwise the filling will fall into your bowl (I did this but was able to fix it, thankfully). Add a cherry from the remaining filling to the cherry cupcakes. 

Et voila! Super simple and super delicious.

A little note about the recipe...
It is very messy! Also, this is the first picture I've taken of my apron. And yes, I am wearing Pj's. It was morning, what of it?

In other news, I went to Costco yesterday morning and bought this amazing thing:

Yes, you read that right TWENTY kilograms of flour. I can't even carry it myself. Amazing. And only $15.

Also, have I mentioned that I just recently got a job at a Walmart bakery? Well I did and I'm very excited! 

Enjoy!
And don't forget to subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What is your favourite chocolate-fruit combination?
2. What is your favourite kind of cupcake?




6 comments:

  1. Pineapple + Chocolate
    It sounds weird, but it's really good. Has to be fresh, non-canned pineapple though.
    And the other two I told you about :P Cranberry, Raspberry. So delicious~

    I'm not really a huge cupcake fan to be quite honest. I love love love oatmeal muffins.
    I would probably go with a simple cupcake, the traditional vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... you're so right, fresh ripe pineapple+dark chocolate=amazing

    I didn't use to be a cupcake fan, but I think I'm coming around to them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate-covered strawberries. Preferably dark, although I've never actually tried it that way.
    Chocolate cupcakes. Always chocolate. I am a stereotypical teenage girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamie its andi from thewednesdaybaker. I sent you a message a short while ago and wondering if you got it. let me know Your page looks good keep up the good work........andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your blog has been hand selected and
    recognized by add your blog.com to receive our - "Blog Star Award" !

    Your blog was chosen by our webmasters, to honor your hard
    work and dedication in providing a quality web log.
    Requirements:
    1)Quality Web Content.
    2)Great Design .
    3)Web Log Everyone Will Love To Read .

    Show off our appreciation and display your award on as many pages of your
    site as you wish, by following the directions on the link below:

    To Claim Award Click Here

    http://www.addyourblog.com/award.php

    Don't forget to submit your blog to our directory increase your blog
    traffic....

    Click Here To Submit Your Blog To AddYourBlog.Com



    Thank You For The Opportunity To View Your Great Blog,


    Keep Up The Good Work,
    Alessandra P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @andi I didn't actually. I didn't think I could get messages on blogger other than comments. I'd love if you could resend it, either on here as a comment or you can email me: jamieleecuerrier@yahoo.ca =] I'm really interested to hear what you have to say

    ReplyDelete