Monday, March 21, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Cup PIES!

Yesterday a very awesome friend of mine came over to bake with me. At first we decided to make handpies but whilst snacking on a muffin at Life of Pie (a really cute pie shop I'll talk more about in a future post), I had an idea. Why not make cupcake sized pies? Cup Pies! I felt though that since they would be so small, they needed to have a little something extra to them, so we made lemon pudding from scratch for the base and then topped them with blue berry pie filling. Who can pass up a lemon-blueberry combination? That's right, no one. Which is why you should make these. They're delicious.



We just used the same dough recipe from the handpies, and the same pudding recipe from the homemade banana pudding, exchanging the banana extract for lemon, and not adding anything else to the pudding once cooked.

So easy to pack in a lunch, or to have as a quick snack at home. These are also easier to roll out and make since you will roll out the dough and cut circles out with a biscuit cutter or a cup instead of rolling out little individual balls like with the handpies.

Lemon Blueberry Cup Pies:
Ingredients:
-1 batch of dough from the hand pie recipe, chilled for at least an hour. Uncooked.
-1 batch of lemon pudding from the banana pudding recipe, cooled
-1 can blueberry pie filling ~28oz.

Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray muffin tin liberally with baking spray.
Roll out the dough to 1/4" thick or thinner. Use a wide mouthed cup or biscuit cutter to cut out 12 even circles. Mold circles to greased muffin cups. Add a spoonful each of pudding, then pie filling.
Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Let cool in tin for 5 minutes.

I made a few with fresh strawberries instead of the blueberry filling since my boyfriend had his heart set on strawberry. Also, sorry about the lack of photos, we were just having too much fun to take pictures. Besides, I'm such a perfectionist at times, it just isn't something to do with people around. 

*Note: you will have leftovers of all ingredients. I put my leftover dough in the freezer to be used later, the rest went into the fridge and should be good for about a week.

Comment Questions:
1. What lemon flavour combination is your favourite? I love lemon-raspberry
2. Do you think pastry school is worth it-even if the it'll cost you $27,000-$100 000?

8 comments:

  1. Lemon raspberry is a favorite of mine as well.
    And no, I don't think pastry school would be worth it. Pastry-making seems more dependent on practice and individual innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think cup-pies are generally called tarts :P
    They sound good though!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically, if you actually want to be a Pastry Chef, you need the Cordon Bleu seal of approval. And you'll need it to work in their restaurants.
    The French are picky.
    But there are a shit ton of bakers who don't have any professional training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with elf army, I think experience is more important than education. I just want a little bake shop, maybe teach a baking class, maybe write cookbooks. I don't think I need a fancy shmancy certificate. Plus there are other patisserie schools, not all pattisserie chefs went to Le cordon bleu. Chicago alone has 3 pastry schools! Which I'm sure are a lot cheaper, yet still good enough for me.

    Also, yes Katie, they usually are. But I like to call them cup pies =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the fat content of this confection?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @movies on my mind... well... there's a lot of butter, and 2% milk, and egg yolks, and lots of sugar. It's definitely not a diet food to say the least. If you're looking for something sweet but healthier, check out my apple bread recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! They really were!

    ReplyDelete