Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits- And using the standmixer!

So last week I bought a lot of sweet potatoes because they were on sale for 77c a pound (are they in season?). I bought a whole 6 large sweet potatoes. More than I can even think up recipes for... but then I came across this delicious recipe on A Cozy Kitchen. I have 4 sweet potatoes left, and thanks to this recipe they will surely not go to waste.


I tweaked the recipe a bit, as per usual; I used a quarter of a cup of butter instead of the original 6 tbsp (just about a 3rd of a cup), and in the second batch I added a tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg as well as an extra half tbsp of brown sugar. The second batch will be more of a dessert or snack type biscuit, whereas the first batch can be used alongside a savory meal.


Today was also the first time I used the Kitchenaid Professional Series 600 Stand Mixer. Now I can't imagine what I did before I had it in my life. It is beautiful. Amazing. It made the whole process so fast and easy. Don't worry though, if you don't have a stand mixer of any kind, just use an electric beater and try to keep from touching the mixture as it comes together because the heat from your hands will melt the butter.


The sunlight was so beautiful today and I also cleaned my camera lens, so I hope my pictures reflect the favourable conditions. Let me know what you think!




 This is the first batch- the plain ones. 
They rose perfectly and came out really tasty!

Sweet Potato Biscuits
Each batch makes 11


Ingredients:
-1 medium-large sweet potato (I used a large one and had double the needed amount in the end, enough for two batches!)
-1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
-2 tbsp light brown sugar (if you use dark, that's fine, they'll just be darker, sweeter and slightly more moist)
-2 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces (I cut mine into pieces as the potato was cooking and put them in the freezer until I needed them)
-1/3 cup buttermilk (don't have buttermilk on hand? No problem! Just mix regular milk with a tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice and you're good to go!)
-1 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg plus one extra half tbsp of brown sugar (optional)
-2 tbsp melted butter for brushing


What you're seeing in the bowl are just
 water spots from washing and air-drying.
Isn't it lovely?

Directions: 
1. Peel and dice potato. Place in a saucepan, cover with water and place on high. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. About 30-45 minutes. Drain and mash. You'll need 3/4-1 cup mashed for this recipe.
2. Preheat oven to 425*F. 
3. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices (if using).
4. Drop in butter, piece at a time, and beat until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea sized lumps of butter. 
5. In a small bowl mix together buttermilk and mashed potato. Stir into dry mixture quickly until just combined. 
6. Using your hands, gently knead in the leftover bits of the dry mixture on the bottom of the bowl. 
7. Plop dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll until about 1 inch thick (if still too sticky, knead in a little extra flour).
8. Cut out biscuits with a biscuit or cookie cutter or the lip of a round glass (which is what I used).
9. Arrange snugly on a pan with parchment paper or one that has been thoroughly greased. Making sure they are all touching to help keep them all upright when rising. 
10. Brush biscuits with melted butter and bake for 20-24 minutes, until lightly browned. 

 Whisking Dry Ingredients


 Cutting the biscuits

The Cinnamon biscuits!

Finished product-first batch!

Enjoy!
And Don't Forget To Subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What are your favourite sweet potato recipes?
2. What's your favourite type of biscuit?
3. What do you think of today's photos?
4. Do you have a stand mixer? If so, what kind?











2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's Cori97 from DeviantArt, and I saw your photo. I'm going to try and make those sometime! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete