Monday, April 4, 2011

Banana Muffins-3 ways!

I used up the last of my overripe bananas this morning making these delicious and healthy muffins! While I hate working with gross black bananas, these were certainly worth it! And I made three different flavours- perfect for a quick, easy, nutritious breakfast! 

It was very dreary out today...grey, cold and wet, it really was a perfect day to do some spring baking. However, it was a terrible day for photography, which is why unfortunately you won't find step-by-step photos in this post like usual. It is only thanks to the small amount of dull grey light that filtered in through my kitchen window and the magic that is photoshop that there are any pictures of these muffins at all. Oh well, April showers bring May flowers, right?

Now a note about these muffins: I divided my batch into three different flavours, you don't have to do this of course. If you choose to pick just one flavour put your choice of flavour (chocolate chips for example) in with the DRY ingredients, and stir to coat- this is important. If you add them to the wet ingredients or you don't coat them with the dry ingredients the chocolate chips (or whatever else you add) will sink to the bottom of the muffin. For some reason, the coating of dry ingredients suspends them in the muffin mixture. However, if you're like me and you like having a variety, ignore this note and just continue on with the recipe as I have written it. 

Cranberry, Blueberry, Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins:
Makes 12 muffins in three different flavours 
Ingredients: 
-4 large overripe bananas, mashed
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1 slightly beaten egg
-1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted (usually I am a butter advocate for baking, but it's going to be melted anyway, plus margarine is healthier, so go ahead and use whatever you have available)
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 1/2 cups flour
-a small handful each of dried blueberries, dried cranberries, and chocolate chips (I mean a very small handful, each flavour will make 4 muffins, and at the high end you only want maximum 8 pieces per muffin so you can keep a good muffin texture) 
-1/3 cup powdered sugar
-1 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 350*F. 
Mix mashed bananas, sugar, egg and butter/margarine. Set aside. 
In a separate bowl, mix baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. (*If you're making just 1 flavour, this is the time to put it in. See note.*)
Mix wet and dry ingredients together, but be sure to not over-mix. Over-mixing leads to tough muffins. The batter will be lumpy, and that is perfectly fine. 
Spoon batter into a muffin tin with paper cups- about two heaping tablespoonfuls for each cup. 

Add ONE of your flavours to a bowl (either chocolate chips or cranberries or blueberries, but not all at once) to a bowl and add powdered sugar. Mix to coat and remove one by one. Divide evenly among 4 of the muffins, gently pressing down so there will be some throughout. 
Repeat above steps with the other two flavours. 

Bake for 20 minutes, and test for doneness. A toothpick should come out clean, but the muffins should still feel soft. Let rest for 5 minutes in muffin tin, then cool on a wire rack. 



Enjoy!
And don't forget to subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What's your favourite muffin flavour, or where do you get your favourite muffins from? A small bakeshop? Starbucks?
2. What do you like to do on rainy days?


8 comments:

  1. Oh, rainy days. Best thing to do is curl up in bed with a book. Possibly also my laptop. Reading and writing books. Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you found something else to make with the bananas ;) They look just yummy! I try to make our own muffins when I can. We like banana and blueberry over here ;) And when it rains (it rained here pretty bad this morning) I like to just curl up on my couch with a good book, my lap top, or a good movie. Kind of hard to do with kiddos though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @elfarmy: yes curling up in bed with a good book is always a good option for rainy days
    @Libby: I did! I was trying to find a good banana cookie recipe but came up short. So I figured, why not make mini banana breads? But I didn't have enough tiny loaf pans so I turned them into muffins and decided to make three different kinds for some variety. These are the simplest banana muffins I've ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. My favorite muffins would be either chocolate chip or banana walnut.

    2. On rainy days I life to stay inside and either read a book or write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @hmweasley: You can never go wrong with a good old chocolate chip muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!

    Thank you so much for following my blog. I’m stopping by to follow back! I look forward to reading!

    Have a great week!
    ~Lisa
    http://berksgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lisa: No problem, you have a great blog!
    Thanks for following back, it's nice to have a new reader!

    ReplyDelete