Friday, April 1, 2011

The Best Meatloaf You'll Ever Taste

Yesterday, despite feeling very sick, I wanted to make meatloaf. I had a bunch of pork and veal in my freezer that I needed to use up before leaving for Panama, and I thought putting it all into one big meatloaf would be a delicious way to do so. However, I couldn't seem to find the veal. Our freezer is pretty packed and I guess it's hiding beneath everything else. I did find the pork though, and so the finished product ended up only being pork, but it was just as good.

We loved this meatloaf so much last night we've decided to have it again tonight, and my boyfriend actually said it was BETTER than his mother's meatloaf! How's that for a compliment, huh? He scarfed down his meal quite happily last night.

Yum... look at that juicy goodness... *drools*

The best things about this meatloaf are that it comes out nice and juicy, and the meat is well seasoned, and the sauce is tangy, sweet and a little spicy. A perfect combination all around. Trust me, if you make this for your boyfriend, or husband, he will be very, very pleased with you... and you may even get him to help clean up the house in return!

The Best Meatloaf You'll Ever Taste!:
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1hr
Ready in: 1hr30mins.
Ingredients:
-1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup ketchup
-2 lbs ground pork
-1/2 cup milk
-3 medium eggs
-scant 1 cup Italian/seasoned breadcrumbs
-1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
-1 tsp each/to taste: parsley, basil, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic salt, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper-
-1 tsp Louisiana hot seasoning (mix of coriander, salt, ground red pepper, granulated garlic, basil, oregano and cumin) plus dash salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
Mix ketchup, brown sugar, and Louisiana hot seasoning in a small bowl. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
Mix well all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl, with hands. Put into loaf pan and push down to shape into loaf. Spread sauce evenly over top of meat. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until juices run clear.


The sauce is so good... you can see how seasoned it is... 
and when it bakes, something magical happens to the brown sugar in it...


See all the little dots of seasoning? So good!

Spreading on the delicious sauce!

Enjoy!
And don't forget to subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What is your favourite kind of meatloaf? Beef, pork, chicken?
2. What is one meal that you love so much you can eat it days in a row?

5 comments:

  1. Legit started drooling while I was reading the description. :Q_
    My favourite meatloaf would probably be beef, even though I'm not really a huge fan of beef these days.

    And I could live off of pasta meals forever~ I just love it. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to eat a meatloaf I like. Some are better than others, but...

    Caesar salad. I love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lil_taco: Haelie right? I recognize your screen name from your email ^^ . I used to love beef meatloaf, I thought my mom's was the best meatloaf ever, but I find pork tends to stay more moist thanks to its higher fat content than beef(my mom gets extra lean ground beef, like a lot of people, which I find dries out too much when cooked for longer periods of time). I love pasta too! If I had to choose one thing to live off forever, it would be different variations of pasta =]

    @elfarmy: What is it about meatloaf that you don't like? Mmm caesar salad... bacon, croutons, creamy dressing... what's NOT to love?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beef is our favorite way to eat meatloaf. I can eat anything with pasta for days and days on end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite combo is beef & pork for meatloaf. This recipe looks very good. I make a similar one but I stuff it with cheddar cheese and bacon, then top it with bacon. Bacon is great with the ketchup & brown sugar. It's posted in my blog under Meatloaf Made In America. Your recipe reminded me to cook this real soon! Nice blog and good luck in Panama...be safe. N
    cucinananette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete