Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eggless Smarties Cookies

Yesterday my boyfriend handed me a big bag of Smarties and told me to do something with them to use them up before our trip. My favourite way to use up M&M's and Smarties? Cookies of course! One problem stood between me and my cookies though, I had only 4 eggs, all of which are set aside for my last two baking projects before we leave, exactly one week from now. So I wondered... could I make cookies without eggs? Yes! Yes I can!

It's as easy as 1,2,3! All you need is 1 part fat, 2 parts sugar and 3 parts flour! In any cookie recipe the extras are just that, extra. This of course is a very basic recipe and if you want a more complexly flavoured cookie, you of course need a more complex recipe.


These cookies are great for days you don't have eggs or for those with egg allergies! Plus they're so yummy! 

Eggless Smarties Cookies:
Ingredients: 
-1/2 cup butter
-1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white (because I knew I was adding very sweet Smarties, I didn't use a full 2 parts sugar, if you're using semi-sweet chocolate, or dark, I would use a full cup of sugar)
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tsp baking soda (I prefer thicker cookies, though if you prefer thinner, crunchier cookies like my boyfriend does, omit this)
-2 tsp vanilla extract (vanilla makes everything better)
-3 tbsp cooking oil (just to add a little moisture and helps the Smarties stick into the cookies)
-scant 1 cup M&M's or Smarties

Preheat oven to 350*F.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. For this recipe I just used my small hand mixer and later a spoon and my hands. No need to pull out the stand mixer!

Set hand mixer speed to medium and add flour, baking soda, vanilla and oil and mix until completely combined. At this point, feel your dough. If you can squish it into a ball with your hand it is good, other wise add a tiny bit of water, about half a tsp at a time. 

Add Smarties and mix with a spoon. I found it easier to squish it in with my hands. The dough will look crumbly, but no worries, that's how it's supposed to look! Taste it! I promise it'll be yummy- and since there aren't any eggs, you don't have to worry about eating the whole bowl of cookie dough!

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls (I pressed dough into my tablespoon measuring spoon to create little balls) on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 mins. They will not look "done" when they come out, but I assure you they will be. You will see that they will be lightly golden on the bottoms and will have spread out just a little. Do not over-bake. Let cook on cookie sheet 5 mins and carefully move to a wire rack to cool completely. These are great with a tall glass of milk!



Enjoy! 
And don't forget to subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What are your favourite eggless desserts you like to make?
2. Which do you prefer, Smarties or M&M's?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, great recipe and the potholder made it again. Very cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The pot holder had so many of the same colours of the Smarties that I knew it would be awesome to photograph with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I perfer M and M's but my kids love Smarties :) I have a recipe for eggless chocolate oatmeal cookies. They're pretty good :) And no bake too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great, remind me of my Grandma's cookies from when i was little with the lighter color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did the cookies turn out? how's the taste?

    ReplyDelete