Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fruity S'more Bars!

I've been itching for a while to try my hand at making my own granola bars. And, in an effort to use up the last of my perishable/opened baking supplies before we head off to Panama in two weeks (are you sick of hearing about this trip yet?), I figured a recipe like this was the perfect solution. Oh my goodness... These. Are. Amazing! I will never go back to store bought granola bars again!

What's great about this recipe is that it's so customizable. You can make it with whatever you have in your cupboards, so it's perfect for trying to use up the last of things before they perish. I will post the basic formula along with my version of the recipe so you can make it however you'd like. My version is obviously not the healthiest, but made with the right ingredients these can be a quick and very healthy on the go snack! I call mine fruity s'more bars because the chocolate-marshmallow-rolled oats combo is reminiscent of s'mores and the dried fruits give it a sweet, natural taste to them. So good and so easy to make.

Fruity S'more Bars:
Makes about 12 bars, depending on how big you cut them. 
Ingredients: 
-2 1/2 cups rolled grains- I used rolled oats, not "quick oats" 
(other options: rye flakes, barley flakes, etc.)
-1 cup nuts or seeds and spices- I used 1/2 cup mini marshmallows and 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead of nuts, and I used a 1/2 tsp of salt instead of a spice. 
(other options: pecans, peanuts, almonds, etc. vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
-1/3 cup + 1/4 cup sticky sweetener- I used 1/3 cup creamed honey + 1/4 cup liquid honey and maple syrup
(other options: molasses, agave syrup, etc.)
-1 cup dried fruits- I used half dried blueberries and half dried cranberries
(other options: raisins, dried apricots, prunes etc.)
-1 cup binder -I used Nutella
(Other options: peanut butter, unsweetened applesauce, etc.)

Preheat oven to 325*F. 
Whisk together sticky sweetener, binder, and spices, if using. Stir in grains, making sure to evenly coat. This may be a little difficult as it is very sticky. Mix in nuts/seed and dried fruit. 

Turn mixture out onto a parchment paper covered baking dish. Try and use a smaller baking pan than you would use for cookies, and definitely use one with a lip. Pressing on the back of a spatula, tightly pack the mixture onto the pan. Keep the mixture about 2 centimeters thick. 

Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from oven and put the whole thing in the freezer for at least an hour, until firm. Flip pan onto a parchment paper covered cutting board and peel off parchment paper. It may feel a little hard to cut so use a good knife. Don't worry though, they're very chewy and soft to bite into. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 



Enjoy!
And don't forget to subscribe!

Comment Questions:
1. What's your favourite granola bar type?
2. What's your go-to on the go snack?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm wondering if I might be able to use quick oats? I have some that I bought for another granola recipe and need to use them up. Thoughts? I don't really know what the difference is. I also have grits, but I don't think they would taste all that great, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably could but the difference is that quick oats are already par cooked, so the end result may be a slighly overcooked oat if you used them as regular rolled oats. It should be just fine with possibly a softer texture :)
    Haha gno grits may not be the best for this lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your wonderful blog! New follower! This looks so delicious!

    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com
    (All Things Cajun)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jessica! I'll definitely check out your blog =]

    ReplyDelete