Friday, April 29, 2011

Lemon Pepper Fish, Olive Oil and Parsley Pasta, and Tomato and Romaine Salad

(My pictures are STILL not uploading! It says "server error/server rejected" every time I try. PICASA says it's trying to work on the issue, so until then you'll have to excuse my lack of photos. Sorry. If you have an idea as to what may be the problem, please let me know!)


Hi everyone! Seeing as I'm stuck inside today with a cold (leave it to me to get a cold on vacation!), I thought it would be the perfect time for me to sit down and share the only thing I've cooked since we've been here (there are just so many delicious restaurants to try!).

This recipe was a big hit with my boyfriend, and it is also quite healthy-not to mention super easy- so you can really feel great about serving this any day of the week, no matter where you are in the world. This recipe makes a perfect light dinner for a nice summer night.

Lemon Pepper Fish:
Ingredients:
-3 frozen bass (or other white fish) fillets (we couldn't find any fresh white fish at the grocery store, of course if you have fresh, use it and adjust the cook times accordingly)
-1 lemon
-salt, pepper, parsley
-1 small yellow onion

Preheat oven to 375*F
Chop onion and evenly lay on the bottom of a baking dish big enough to fit your fish. Place frozen fish on bed of onion. Sprinkle with the juice of one lemon, then with salt, pepper and parsley, to taste.

Bake at 375*F for 20 mins, then take out of oven. Raise the oven temp to 475*F. and bake fish for another 9 mins or until it flakes easily.

Tomato and Romaine Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette: 
Ingredients:
-1 large head of romaine lettuce
-1 extra large tomato, or two-three regular (the produce here is amazing, super fresh, ripe and HUGE- and all of it is locally grown!)
-1 1/2 lemons
-1 english cucumber, or 3-4 mini cucumbers (the latter of which is what I used)
-equal part olive oil to lemon
-salt and pepper

Wash and chop/tear veggies as you like. Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice, taste and add salt and pepper. Toss salad and dressing to coat.

It's that easy to make your own vinaigrette! What I love most about this meal is how few ingredients and steps there are, and I love how the lemons do double duty in both the salad and the fish. I find preparing them this way really brings the meal together.

Olive Oil and Parsley Pasta:
Ingredients:
-1/2 package of fettuccine or other long, flat pasta (500grams)
-few tablespoons good extra-virgin olive oil
-salt, pepper, parsley

Cook pasta to package directions, drain. Sprinkle with olive oil until nicely coated, but not dripping with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley to taste.

So good and so easy, I guarantee this will be a hit with picky eaters and refined palates alike!

I hope to start baking again soon, and of course I hope to start posting more often again. I miss you guys! I'm really loving it here in Panama though. Everything here is just so much better...

Comment Question:
1. What can one do with a bunch of passion-fruits?

No comments:

Post a Comment