Sunday, June 19, 2011

Strawberry-Raspberry Pie!

Hello again! Today you are all in for a real treat. Two, in fact. The first being this beautiful pie, 




Beautiful, right? I'm really proud of this pie. I got the idea firstly from Bon Appetit- the same issue my Pasta Al Pomodoro came from, actually. (I'm really loving this magazine!) I put it on my to-bake list to make eventually, but after seeing it on Lottie + Doof I knew I had to get in the kitchen right away. 

Being here in Panama has at the same time been both amazing and difficult. The weather is always a sunny 30*C. and the only time you ever need a sweater is to go to the movies as they always crank the A/C too high. The air is thick and in the breeze you can feel the ocean mist on your face. It really is an incredible feeling.

But, I miss the cool breezes of Canada, and the fresh smell of the earth after a good rain. Oh and variety. I miss being able to go to a store and find 2 different brands of fresh raspberries and being able to choose which basket looks freshest. Man do I ever miss fresh berries... 

This pie cured a little bit of my homesickness. 

The original recipe called for rhubarb and raspberries, but since there was no way I'd ever find rhubarb in this country I subbed in for strawberries. Strawberries were always the first sign of summer for me anyway. Of course though, I couldn't find fresh raspberries here either, and fresh strawberries are unbearably expensive here so I had to use frozen. It still turned out perfectly. The original recipe was also for a crostata, but I have a pretty pie dish and pies are more convenient to make anyway since you can store them in the same dish they're baked in... plus aren't pies cuter in the end?

Imagine the best butter cookie you've ever had, slathered in a perfectly sweetened strawberry and raspberry jam. That is this pie. 

I used my usual pie dough recipe for this pie instead of the one they suggested in the original recipe since there was no way I could find whole wheat flour in this country- and besides, why fix what isn't broken? 

If you haven't noticed so far, this pie is way different than the original recipe that was featured in Bon Appetit. If you'd like to see the original recipe, you can read it here. 

Jamie's Strawberry-Raspberry Pie:
Ingredients:

Crust: 
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-8 tbsp buttermilk
-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tbsp white sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
-1 cup very cold butter, cut into 1/4" pieces
-powdered sugar for dusting
-2 large eggs, gently beat, for brushing
-white sugar for sprinkling

Filling: 
-1/4 cup cornstarch (if you're using frozen berries, add another heaping tablespoon)
-4 cups strawberries, thawed and drained if frozen
-6oz. raspberries, thawed and drained is frozen
-2/3 cup granulated sugar
-1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)

Crust:
In a small bowl combine buttermilk and vanilla. Stir to combine and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest, if using. Mix to combine.

Add in butter by the piece, and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a course meal and pieces are less than pea-sized.

Add buttermilk mixture and stir until dough comes together. Transfer dough to a powdered-sugar covered surface and shape into two flat disks. Two thirds of the dough ball should go in one disk, and the other third into another disk. You won't need the smaller disk, however you will have both leftover dough and filling- enough to make handpies! Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge at least 2 hours. 

Filling: 
Dissolve cornstarch in 3 tbsp water (add an extra teaspoon if adding an extra tablespoon) in a small bowl; set aside. Combine strawberries, raspberries, lemon juice and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves and juices are released, about 4 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Transfer to a boil and cool for about 30 mins (or chill in the freezer just while you do the next step).

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Transfer dough to a powdered sugar surface and roll out the bigger dough ball until half a centimeter thick (5 millimeters). Transfer to a prepared pie dish and shape as you wish. Use a fork and poke tiny holes all over the crust. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar- make sure to get the edges of the crust too! Pour filling into crust; depending on the size of your pie dish, you should have about a cup of filling leftover. The left over filling will freeze very well, as will your leftover dough. Keep frozen for up to 3 months. 

Bake pie until crust is golden brown and filling is slightly bubbly- about 40-45 minutes. Check halfway through baking time, if the crust is looking too dark on the edges, cover lightly with tin foil and continue until all crust is cooked fully. Let pie cool on a rack until it is no longer hot to the touch and the filling has set. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


Definitely the perfect summer treat for any BBQ, family dinner, or really any day of the week!

The second treat I said I had for you is... well I bought you all a little something. A hand made Panamanian pot holder. I bought one for myself yesterday and I thought you guys might like one too. So now you're wondering how you can get your hands on it... it's easy really. All you have to do is click the follow button on the top of the page. You have to be registered with Blogger. Once I get 50 Blogger registered followers, I will have an official giveaway post that you all can comment on to win. If you're already following- good job! Go ahead and tell your friends! Don't have a blogger account? If you're following already in some other fashion, leave that in the comments below and tell your friends! Not following and also don't have a blogger account? They're easy and free to sign up for... now might be the perfect time! Also, please tell your friends! 

Well that's all for today. Hope that makes up for my lack of posting this month. My life has been utterly crazy, and I've also been quite sick this week- this is the first time I've gotten into the kitchen in over a week! 

Enjoy!
And don't forget to follow!


23 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks great! I found your blog through a link party! I love finding other cooking blogs! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made some fantastic changes to this recipe. It looks like it is much better than the orginal - both crust and filling. Thank you for linking your recipe to Joy of Desserts. (Please remember to add a hyperlink to my blog. :-) Thanks.)

    I'm wondering why quality fruit/produce are so hard to come by in Panama. With all the beautiful sunshine, it seems it should be paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nikki: Thanks so much for following me Nikki! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely be checking out your blog too!

    @Joy: Wow, thank you so much. That is so sweet of you to say! Sorry about the hyperlink, it just slipped my mind, I added it now =]

    Well, they have a plethora of mangoes, coconuts and the like, but fragile berries like raspberries need a cooler climate unfortunately. Also poor conditions and less-than-standard farming tools also probably contribute to the lack of quality produce. The local potatoes are so TINY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for adding the link, and for your answer. I'm featuring your recipe on this week's Monday, Mmm ... Dessert. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a recipe. My husband and I live in a rural area and the other day had an enjoyable afternoon at a u-pick farm and now I have a bunch of fresh strawberries and raspberries and thought it would be fun to make a strawberry/raspberry pie. So I started looking online for a good recipe. I look forward to giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We stumbled over here by a different website
    and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to checking out your web page repeatedly.


    Feel free to surf to my homepage; how much should i weigh chart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jamie, Made the pie today and my family raved about it. This also was my first attempt at making my own crust. Thank you for this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gоοd day! This іs kind of оff tοрic but I need ѕomе guiԁanсe
    from аn еstablished blog. Іѕ іt ԁifficult to set up yοuг οwn blοg?
    I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinκing about сrеаting
    my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Appreciate it

    Have a look at my site; androgel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Appreciation to my father who shared with me concerning this weblog, this blog is truly awesome.



    Feel free to surf to my web-site ... compare car insurance rates

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nіce рoѕt. І just stumbled upon
    your weblog anԁ wаnted to ѕay that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing
    to уour fееd and I'm hoping you write again very soon!

    Look into my weblog - protein

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I ԁо think this is a greаt sitе.
    Ι stumbledupon it ;) I will гeturn оncе again sіnce I bookmarkеd іt.
    Мoney аnd freeԁom is the greаtest
    way tο chаnge, maу you bе rіch anԁ сontinue to help otherѕ.


    Loоk at mу weblog health

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your blog?

    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more
    in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Here is my webpage; training video

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was excited to uncover this great site. I want to to
    thank you for your time for this particularly wonderful read!
    ! I definitely savored every bit of it and i also have you book marked to check
    out new information in your web site. I wanted
    to share with you that, I bookmarked Blogger: Simply Delicious at
    Digg so my family may read it as well. If you don't mind I would also reveal a tip. Obtaining great video marketing could well be highly difficult. I find it most beneficial to talk to a a Bankruptcy Attorney San Diego. Our crew of Great San Diego Estate Planning Lawyers are right here to assist with all of your legal necessities.

    my web blog: Estate Planning Attorney San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ultimate way to Clean a Upholstered House furniture

    Feel free to visit my web site from video to mp3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this
    write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me.

    Thank you, very nice article.

    My web page: buy facebook fans

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somebody necessarily help to make severely articles I
    would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website
    page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular publish extraordinary.
    Fantastic activity!

    Feel free to surf to my webpage :: worldcup

    ReplyDelete
  17. Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.



    Here is my website :: what is forskolin

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tea for Pu-erh is going to help with digestion. Checking the
    sugar in the foods you love can be discouraging as you
    take off one item after another from the list of foods you once ate.
    The 'Dukes of Hazzard' star confidently showed off her new baby-post body in a sheer blue sfar
    top as she posed with her younger sister Ashlee Simpson at the event.


    Here is my site; green coffee funziona

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.

    Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information for my mission.

    My site :: www

    ReplyDelete
  20. lll turn oout tto be motivated tօ increase mսch more bbrand new
    terms fօr yоur expressions οnly to bе able tօ
    mɑke it happen way of proceed as before. Yоu
    can see an explosion аs աell ɑs the image iѕ slowly removed.
    you have tto bee able to utilize ϳust ɑbout all sеven of thе wordѕ and phrases), but thhe truth iss
    ϳust coսld'testosterone οbtain it.

    Hеre is mу website ... free scrabble game

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you contact your own service supplier and get the problem solved,
    you will not be reimbursed for the exact same. But how to do that if you
    don't have any encounter? These are some suggested AWD vehicles below 25000 bucks.



    Also visit my weblog extended car warranty ()

    ReplyDelete
  22. How to do this effectively? The best path is to get legal ammunition. Thither are a diversity of legal titles that you might be capable to work against your mortgage company that you don't yet know about. For instance, did you recognize that if there are material errors in your HUD-1 Settlement Statement, you may be able to rescind your mortgage under the Truth In Lending Act?
    Massachusetts Foreclosure Attorney

    ReplyDelete