Sunday, July 3, 2011

Canada Day/ 4th of July Cheesecake!

Happy (belated) Canada Day to all my fellow Canucks, and happy (early) 4th of July to all you American readers! Today's post is going to be pretty special. 


I bought myself a couple of things this week... firstly a Spring form Pan. It's my first spring form pan, as those of you who've been reading my blog for a while know. I'm as pleased as punch with the results. I also bought myself a fancy-ish camera. It's an Olympus SP-800UZ. It's really pretty... and it takes really pretty photos like the ones in this post. 


Though I'm in a faraway country, I still felt it necessary to celebrate Canada Day. So I made this cheesecake. It's lemony and a little chocolaty- delicious! And so pretty and patriotic with the beautiful swirls of pinkish-red. My food colouring is a little finicky- it takes quite a lot to turn something white into red. For you American folks, you can always swirl in a bit of blue as well. 





Oh and I had a genius idea for this cheesecake (albeit too late), instead of using red/blue food colouring, you can mix in some strawberry/blueberry sundae sauces to give it a more summery flavour, as well as making it look patriotic! 





This cheesecake has a delicious Oreo crumble base because who doesn't love Oreo cheesecake? I also served it with some Maple syrup- it goes perfectly with the lemon flavour and gives it a little more of a Canadian touch!





Do you like the plate I used? I bought it specifically for shooting. 





Jamie's Canada Day Cheesecake:
Ingredients:
-3 cups cream cheese, softened
-1 cup granulated sugar
-3 eggs
-1 tbsp vanilla
-1 tbsp lemon juice
-zest of 1 lemon
-about 16 Oreos
-4 tbsp butter


Preheat oven to 325*F.


To make the crust:
Put the Oreos, 4 at a time, into a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs. Add butter, a tbsp at a time, and pulse until mixture comes together. Press mixture into a prepared spring form pan (sprayed with non-stick spray and buckled correctly). 


The cheesecake:
Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar in 3 batches and beat well after each. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to beat very well after each. Add the vanilla, beat again. Add the lemon zest and juice, beat a final time. 


Pour onto prepared crust, reserving about a cup of the mixture. Add food colouring until you get the colour you want (if doing two colours, divide the batter into 2 separate bowls, then colour). Pour into pan, drop extra food colouring on top and swirl with a butter knife. 


Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, checking at 40. Your cheesecake is done when edges are set but a small dollar-sized dot in the middle is still jiggly. 


Cool on rack for 30 minutes. Chill in fridge for a few hours, until firm and fully set. (To speed it up: chill in freezer for about 2-3 hours.)





Enjoy!
Don't forget to subscribe!
Have a happy and safe holiday weekend!

Comment Questions:
1. What's your favourite Canada day/4th of July dessert? 
2. What do you think of the photography in this post compared to my other posts?

PS- my giveaway is still going on- don't forget to enter!



1 comment: