Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sweet-Tart Sweetheart Apple-Cran Pie!

Hello lovely people!

Hope everyone's having a great new year, and that you're sticking to your New Year's resolutions. It's been a little quiet on this blog lately, but now I'm back and ready to keep some sort of schedule!

This year has been great to me so far- my boyfriend and I have been working out nearly everyday, and have been eating a lot more healthily. I've even finally started to lose some of the weight I gained while being in Panama this summer.

All this does not mean that I haven't been baking though! Last week was my first week of pastry school. As some of you already know, last semester I was in a culinary program for chef training, but in my heart I always wanted to be in the pastry program. I was lucky to be given one of the last spots for this semester. To celebrate my first week, I baked this pie.


This pie is sweet from the sweet crust, the apples, and the streusel topping, and it is balanced out with delicious tart cranberries. The subtle flavour of citrus just brightens the rest of the flavours.



I like to make these in mini pie tins because it's cuter, and an easier way to potion it out so you don't end up eating 6 pieces of this pie in one day!

Ingredients:
Base:
-1 batch of this pie dough recipe, with the zest of 1 lemon or orange and 2tsp cinnamon added in.
Filling:
-2 cups fresh cranberries
-2 large apples (I like Gala for this), peeled and cut into small cubes
-2/3 cup sugar
-juice from half a lemon or orange (about 1 1/2 tbsp)
-1/2 cup AP flour
Topping:
-1/2 cup AP flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

Roll out dough and fit into the pan of your choice. Trim excess, leaving about 3/4 inch hanging out. Turn the extra dough underneath itself to create an upstanding rim. Chill in fridge until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Put all ingredients for the filling into a bowl and let chill out in the fridge for half an hour.
Pour the filling into the chilled pie shell(s) and bake in center of preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine first 4 topping ingredients. Cut in butter and rub together until the mixture is the consistency of coarse sand. Chill until ready to use.

Remove pie from oven. Turn down temp to 375*F. Sprinkle topping onto pie and press down gently. Return the pie to the oven, rotating so that the side that faced the back of the oven now faces the front. Bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until the filling bubbles thickly around the edges.

Transfer pie to wire rack and cool for at least 1 hour.


Adapted from Ken Haedrich's Pie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment